2014 MOX project fast facts
For 2016 Mox Project Fast Facts click here
Shaw AREVA MOX Services, LLC, comprised of Shaw Project Services Group and AREVA, has a contract with the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) to design, build and operate a facility to convert surplus nuclear weapon-grade plutonium into reactor fuel for use in commercial nuclear power plants.
This work supports NNSA’s nuclear nonproliferation program to eliminate nuclear weapon-grade plutonium in the U.S. Under a 2000 agreement, the United States and Russia will dispose of 68 metric tons of surplus plutonium, sufficient for approximately 17,000 nuclear weapons.
The MOX facility will process U.S. plutonium and a Russian facility will process Russian plutonium.
• First-of-its-kind facility in the U.S.
• First major nuclear construction project authorized by NRC in over 20 years
• Will produce fuel for use in commercial nuclear power reactors
• One MOX fuel assembly can provide enough electricity to power 9,000 homes for one year
• Project has worked 18 million safe work hours without a lost time incident
• OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) Star Site Certified
• Completed Facility Roof in early 2013
• 2010, 2011 and 2012 NRC Summary Reports found no areas needing improvement
• Mixed Oxide Fuel Fabrication Facility (MFFF) Operational Facts
o Mixed Oxide (MOX) fuel contains a mixture of approximately 95% uranium oxide and 5% plutonium oxide
o Capable of disposing 3.5 metric tons of plutonium annually
o Designed to produce both Pressure Water Reactor (PWR) and Boiling Water Reactor (BWR) fuel assemblies
o Output of 150 PWR fuel assemblies/year
o Typical PWR fuel assembly contains 264 fuel rods and weighs about 1,500 pounds
o 330 pellets per fuel rod
o Facility will be capable of producing 70,000 pellets/day
• MFFF Construction Statistics (at completion)
Concrete: 170,000 cubic yards
Reinforcing Steel: 35,000 tons
Process Piping: 85 miles
HVAC duct work: 1,000 tons
Conduit: 500,000 linear feet
Cable Tray: 47,000 linear feet
Power/Control Cable: 3,600,000 linear feet
Process Systems: 300
MFFF and Support Facilities Size: 600,000 square feet
Source: Shaw AREVA MOX Services, LLC website – www.moxproject.com