AYP on a roll in 2013
The Aiken Young Professionals have been busy during the first six months of 2013. The active group of 22- to 39-year-olds now boasts 203 members with a vision that focuses on three areas – networking, community service, and educational events designed to help members grow socially and professionally, and to nurture future leaders of the greater Aiken area.
The AYP reports the following accomplishments from January through June:
• Held five Third Thursdays networking events at various Chamber member locations.
• Hosted an open forum among members to discuss a vision for the young professional in Aiken; presented findings and vision to Aiken City Council members. As a result of this forum and conversation with the City Council, a member of AYP has been appointed to serve on the City of Aiken Parks Recreation and Tourism Commission.
• Participated in the USCA/AYP Sandy Rogers & Scotty Richardson Memorial Scholarship Fundraiser during a Pacer basketball game – assisted in raising more than $4,000 towards the endowment
• Hosted a Lunch & Learn, featuring professional speaker Denise Ryan, who provided valuable tips on “Public Speaking & Preparing an Effective Presentation”
• Participated in the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life, raising $2,351.13 for the fight against cancer and celebrating 100 years of HOPE.
• Adopted and renovated Hope Haven, the teen girls’ living room and kitchen area at Helping Hands. In addition to providing paint and labor, AYP partnered with Aiken Chamber members to provide a new stove and couch, as well as make curtains from donated fabric for the young ladies.
• Donated 50 boxes of Girl Scout cookies to the Cookies for Soldiers program
• Hosted a family picnic for its members
On August 16, AYP and the Aiken Department of Public Safety (ADPS) will join together to host the 2nd annual Blue Night 5K Run/Walk. The race is to benefit ADPS’s Police Athletic League which provides athletic and recreational activities to children who may not qualify for standard programs.
Other AYP events on the horizon include:
• Hosting a Lunch and Learn featuring the principles of Lean Six Sigma in conjunction with Aiken Technical College
• Hosting a Lunch and Learn featuring budgeting and reading balance sheets
• Working with Habitat for Humanity on a build in September
The 2013 AYP sponsors are:
Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations, LLC
Security Federal Bank
Aiken Technical College
University of South Carolina Aiken
Aiken Pest Control
Aiken Regional Medical Centers
ASCO Valve Manufacturing, Inc.
Bella Bronzage, LLC
Cherry Bekaert, LLP
Floyd & Green Fine Jewelers
Holley Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc.
UPS Customs Brokerage
Woodside Plantation Country Club
For information on joining the Aiken Young Professionals, visit www.aikenyoungprofessionals.com