Cool Carolina Cities: Hartsville
April 27, 2017
Hartsville is a vibrant community that has developed a dynamic, yet whimsical downtown. It has a reputation as an innovative business-friendly city. This is an area the Aiken business community feels needs improvement and Aiken officials have decided to focus energy on making happen. Looking at the processes and programs Hartsville has successfully implemented can assist Aiken in its endeavors to become more business friendly.
Chamber Board Chair Charlie Hartz and Aiken Chamber President/ CEO J. David Jameson recently led a group of 49 business, government, education and civic leaders on a one-day trip to visit Hartsville. Discussions with area officials and citizens included the Business Navigator, Main Street, the role of private investment in community development and visionary leadership.
A dozen impressions from Hartsville:
- Build from the inside out – start with the core and grow
- Grab, Guide, Greet, Gather, and Get people into your downtown
- Create a downtown experience that people are drawn to and want to be a part of
- Seize opportunities to grow strategically – Timing is everything.
- Vision, and passion for the vision, by elected officials and city staff is imperative
- Use incentives to inspire businesses to take risks
- Allow the entrepreneurial spirit to thrive
- Streamline the process of opening a business
- Create downtown living that attract all ages
- Create a welcoming environment for college students
- Use city owned property to foster development
- Worry less about reelection and more about making a positive change in the community